Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Personal Response to "Super Size Me" and "Fast Food Nation"

 I learn from watching "Super Size Me" that eating a considerable amount of fast food can lead to major health problems--from obesity, diabetes and heart attack.  I was surprised to hear how much calories a person can consume per day from McDonald.  Watching this documentary remind me when I was 14yrs old, so excited about going McDonald every Saturday for lunch with my parents and my four younger sisters.  My meals were always the same--Big Mac,medium french fries and medium coca-cola.  Then to top it off I would eat my two younger sisters' burger when they could not finish it.  I was a huge fan of the Big Mac. Although I was not overweight from eating and enjoying my meal  every week at McDonald...But  if I was to continue then I have to deal with the consequence of developing health concern later in life.
     Another mind-boggling about this film was the elementary school in Washington, about what the students choose to eat-pizza , candies and soda over their veggies. Unlike the school for at risk students in West Virginia is given much better choice of healthy food of veggies and fruits.
     Three weeks ago I had McDonald for lunch; I ate Big Mac, two medium french fries and a medium coke. I was full throughout the day, had to skip dinner because I did not feel hungry due to the size of my meal. Somehow eating the McDonald made me feel like I gain 5 pounds,even though I only ate it once. (meaning I haven't had McDonald as much as I use to). Now I am glad I had the opportunity to watch this documentary and learn something from it.

"Fast Food Nation"

It is sadden to read about how these fast food chains use advertisement to commercial-playground and playroom to entice young children to eat at their restaurant.  As I continue reading further into chapter 2, I was appalled that Disney decides to work side by side with McDonald to boost their image and revenue. Everywhere you go;bus,train or driving on the highway there are billboard post with advertisement from fast food joints trying to sell their products.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched Super Size Me as well, and I was surprised too!!

    ReplyDelete