Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Food Inc"

In my respond to the “Food Inc.” documentary film I saw in class was gut-wrenching and painful to watch. Although I did find it with interested to have the knowledge of what the food industry was up to.  In the opening scene of the film, Michael Pollan talks about how the food industries had change over the years and the modern average supermarket has 47,000 products: ripped tomatoes which you can get all seasons and there is no bone anymore in meats.  Also he mentions that the industry does not want anyone to know what is in the food we are eating, if they did then no one want to buy anything.
               Further into the film there is more gruesome and heartbreaking image I wish I could closed my eyes but then I will missed the important points of this documentary.  For instance, I learned that high-fructose corn syrup is mass-produced in almost everything we used now a day: soft drinks, sweet & low sugars, diapers and batteries, etc. The way cows, chickens and pigs are mistreated in this film is outrageous but they don’t care, it’s all about MONEY. Especially the cows that holed up in this dungeon called temporary housing until they get slaughter for their meat are mistreated badly. I see the cows have no room to roamed around and stand in their dropping up to their knees. This is how E-coli are produce from mishandling of the cows. I learned that chickens are cooped-up in windowless, crowded chicken house to get fattened to the point they “flop down” and die.  The heartbreaking part in the movie about a mother named Barbara Kowalch who lost her son Kevin to the contaminated  meat eaten from the hamburgers.  She wanted to make sure this doesn’t happen to anyone else the way it did for her. This prompted Barbara Kowalch to travel all the way to Washington D.C. to speak and campaign for a law that teach people to practice the safety and sanitation standards of handling meat in precaution.
This movie teaches you a lesson in life, read before you eat and handle with care.  I recommend everyone should  go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment